Mid-November 2012 until further notice
  Library Phone: 641-472-1154  
  Library Hours: 9:30am-9:00pm M-F /  9:30am-7:15pm Sat /  7:15pm-9:00pm Sun
  
 A collaboration with Poets writing in direct response to
 my paintings include Carla Drysdale, Abeer Hoque,


These broadsides are my collaborations with poets, which began in 2002, during an artist residency at the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts. It’s common for artists of different disciplines to collaborate when they are in the same place for extended periods of time, and so the first broadsides were an exchange with poet in residence, Carla Drysdale. Carla visited my studio and had an especially strong response to my paintings. She understood them at the same level as was my intention in making them. It’s very gratifying when this happens; when someone is inspired by your art and understands why the paintings look the way they do. Because of Carla Drysdale’s response I asked if she would be interested in a collaboration; If she would bring images of my paintings to her studio for however long and respond with a poem. In exchange I offered an artwork of mine. The only thing I asked was that her poem weave their words as a close reflection of my paintings. To my surprise Carla was very receptive, and made three great poems, as did Emily Tuszynska, Abeer Hoque and Tyler sage, all during different residencies.

Up until now I would initiate these poetry/art exchanges only if a poet first expressed a strong connection upon seeing my paintings. Now I’ve become less timid, and rather than wait for a studio visit from a poet, which seems to only happen at these residencies, if at all, I’ve decided to initiate the exchange with poets whose work I admire. I was honored when Rustin Larson agreed (2012) and am eager for New York poet Colette Inez's’ response to The Field of All Possibilities, who tells me she is meditating on it’s image.

Although these post at www.kendubin.com this is my first time printing the collaborations for exhibit. I’ve anticipated this for a long time and can’t think of a better place to begin then here in the MUM Library Foyer gallery. 



 Selections


Abeer Hoque









Rustin Larson









Tyler Sage